Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I am Mine

And he said...

Come to me anyway
This isn’t what you would call love
But let it make do
And let us forget what the rest say

I won’t promise naught but pain
I won’t give any more than nothing
I may be there when you walk in
I may stay while everyone else leaves

And then I will leave
‘Cause there are so many more distractions
To blind my pain
So many words to betray

Or they said...

Let me buy you a dream
Of fancy words and glittering roads
Let me worship you
And look at you all day

And you will be draped in a pale shade of green
And I will breathe in all your words
I will be your jealous lord
I will be the end
Isn’t that what you wanted?

And how does one resist when he said?

Hold out your hand
Follow me
I will take you to the end
Where the starburst will await you

I will let you breathe
If you just let me try
I will let you fly
If you only stop by

"Just say yes
Just say there’s nothing holding you back
It’s not a test, nor a trick of the mind
Only love
"*

But how do I believe?
When I can’t even dare to breathe
If I stir, I will feel the chains
Of my fears

But what do I want?
Do I even know?
Is it freedom or imprisonment?
Do I want the power to break your dreams?

What can I give in return?
A lifetime of silence
Of a broken sword
A comfortable deadness

I have nothing but doubts to give
Nothing but all the room you need
Laughter for your care
A stray moment of faith

I can take your pain
And share none of mine in return
I have answers to your grief
But none for mine

I guard it from everyone I know
I will lie and deny to the end
Give a step and take ten back in return
Don’t bother to try
To bring me back to life

"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eyes
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown, the dream is gone
And I have become comfortably numb"
*

*Just Say Yes - Snow Patrol
*Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd

1 comment:

P. said...

Which brings it all back to the original, overwhelming question: comfortably or uncomfortably numb?