Friday, October 1, 2010

And this bird you cannot chain

"If I leave here tomorrow
Would you remember me?
For I must be travelling on now
‘Cause there’s too many places I’ve got to see
But if I stayed here with you
Things just couldn’t be the same
Cause I am free as a bird now
And this bird you cannot change"
This bird you cannot chain…


Let me hold you
Let me save you
Let me be your all
Let me spin you tales of love
Let me let you save me

She was swept off her feet
Floating in the air
Effervescence, evanescence
The chase and the flight
Giving in was so easy

He had an insinuating hold
Some dark magic she couldn’t place
She brushed her doubts away
For a claim she could deny no more

So began contradiction, corruption
Evaluation, scrutiny
Digging up the past and appointing the blame
Promises of freedom wrapped in golden chains
Threats of vengeance veiled in desperate pleas

And yet she did stay
And yet she did feel
There just had to be a way
To re-string the illusion
As reality wore thin

The unraveling had begun
They flocked to those fields
By the side of the dreams
And they tried to heal
But how do you heal what was never there?

Did she promise salvation?
Did she promise an ideal?
Did she betray the future?
Did he not have a net for safety?

Was self preservation a fault?
Was sanity too much to ask for?
Was peace too much to hope for?
Was what was not white, black?
Was the line not straight?

"Cry freedom cry
From deep inside where we are all confined
How can we turn away?"*


He said, she said, we said
But that’s not what I said
But that’s not what I meant
So it began again
Winding down that bitter road
There is no escape from this maze
We are stuck on this poisoned page

“You and me tried everything
But still that mockingbird won’t sing”*


Where do we go from here?
To turn back is to invite death
To move forward is ruthless
To deny is fruitless
So she wanders
Looking for a reason to stay…

Cause this bird you cannot chain
And this bird you cannot chain…


*Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
*Cry Freedom - Dave Mathews Band
*Mockingbird - Rob Thomas

2 comments:

Pearl said...

Nandu... you see through me.

I dont believe this. Havent been able to explain or thought I haven't been able to use the right words to explain myself to myself..

This IS.

Just wish I am strong enough to change this -
So she wanders
Looking for a reason to stay…

If my 'Soul' had a 'Voice', it would have to be YOURS..

I love you.

P. said...

Now, this one I wish I had been around for. Trying to find meaning in all that is broken, in falling apart, in barely breathing - it would have been a writing journey worth witnessing... Shine on, you crazy diamond!